It can be difficult to find a medicated shampoo that can get rid of dandruff. Some shampoos simply do a better job than the rest. Here are comprehensive reviews of the top five medicated shampoos for dandruff:
- Clinical Strength Dandruff and Seborrheic Dermatitis Shampoo 13.5 Fl Oz by Head and Shoulders
There must be a reason why this shampoo has a rating of 4.4 out of 5 on Amazon. This medicated shampoo is recommended by dermatologists. Here are some of its impressive features:
– Provides relief for the toughest dandruff
– Relieves itchy scalps
– Removes flakes associated with dandruff
– It is gentle and pH balanced
– Doesn’t necessarily need prescription from a doctor
– Keeps hair clean and flake free
– The scent is manageable
– It doesn’t have side effects like temporary baldness
This shampoo is formulated with 1% of selenium sulfide that provides relief even for the toughest dandruff. It has been clinically proven to prevent dandruff. It will fight off dandruff from the first wash and prevents itching and redness too.
Directions for use
Use the shampoo at least twice every week for best results. You can also consult your doctor on the same.
To use this product:
– Wet the hair
– Massage the product into scalp
– Leave it for a few minutes
– If desired, repeat the procedure
– If you use it on tinted, permed, bleached or grey hair rinse for about 5 minutes.
- Selsun Blue Medicated Maximum Strength Dandruff Shampoo, 11 Ounce by Selsun Blue
The Selsun medicated shampoo for dandruff has a number of outstanding features:
– Controls itching and flaking caused by dandruff
– Softens hair
– Makes hair more manageable
– It is formulated with 1% of Selenium Sulfite
– It is medicated with menthol
– Results in healthier hair and scalp too
– It is recommended by doctors
– It is very effective
– You can feel the relief from the first wash
– Smells great
– This shampoo clears up all the dandruff
– It doesn’t leave your scalp dry
A downside to this great product is the smell. Some people describe it as the smell of ‘menthol cigarettes’. Too much use may also irritate the scalp.
Directions for use
– Shake the shampoo well
– Rinse thoroughly
– If your hair is permed or color-treated, ensure that you rinse it thoroughly.
– Use it at least twice every week for best results, or as your doctor may direct you.
This medicated shampoo by Selsun Blue will soften your hair, and control the itching and flaking caused by dandruff.
Selenium Sulfide is the active ingredient in the product. It is an anti-infective agent that helps to relieve itching and flaking on the scalp. It helps get rid of dandruff.
- Nizoral Anti Dandruff Shampoo, 7 ounce bottles by Nizoral
Nizoral’s medicated shampoo for dandruff kills the fungus that causes dandruff. It is suitable for adults and children aged 12 years and above.
Here are some of the great features:
– Controlling the flaking, itching and scaling caused by dandruff
– The active ingredient is ketoconazole
– This shampoo’s main ingredient is ketoconazole. It binds to your hair’s natural protein getting rid of dandruff.
– Makes hair shinier and fuller
– It is ideal for sebaceous dermatitis (severe dandruff / scaling)
– Has a tingly fresh feeling after use
-Lathers well even if you use hard water
– Doesn’t dry out your hair
– You can see the results after the first use
– It is silky to the touch
– Lightly scent
– Soaks well in the scalp
– Cleans the hair very well
– Completely clears out dandruff
– It is a bit expensive
Directions for use
– Wet your hair thoroughly
– Lather generously
– Rinse thoroughly
– Use 3 to 4 days every week for 8 weeks. You can then use it as needed to control dandruff.
Do not freeze the product. Protect it from light. Store it between 35 and 86 degrees.
- Sage Shampoo for Heavy for Heavy Dandruff with Jojoba & Organic Spikenard – 100% Natural, Sulfate Free Treatment for Women, Men & Teens (8 oz)
This medicated shampoo for dandruff is safe for color-treated hair. Its features are:
– It contains a natural formula
– Free from sulphates
– Anti-dandruff formula
– Gentle ingredients
– Reduces the shedding of dead skin
– Stimulates cell renewal
– Solves the root problems of dandruff
– It is recommended by dermatologists
– Great for all hair types
This product contains a natural formula. It is rich in natural compounds, rosemary, sage, tea tree and spikenard.
The ingredients are gentle and safe for even color treated hair. It is free of phthalates, sulfates and fragrances. It is ideal for moderate to severe dandruff.
Let at look at some of its ingredients:
– Sage – has anti-inflammatory and anti-septic properties. It also helps reduce hair loss
– Spikenard – restores hair pigmentation. Promotes hair growth when it works with sage
– Rosemary – Stimulates the renewal of hair follicles. Stimulates growth of new hair in combination with tea tree oil. It also improves circulation
– Jojoba and Argan oils- Provide a shine to hair and smoothens the scalp. Moisturizes and helps you get rid of dandruff
– Spicy aroma
– Lathers well
– Fast results
– Lessens dandruff with continued use
– May discolor your hair a little
– It is a bit expensive
– May make the hair a bit tough especially when washing the product out.
Directions for use
– Rinse your hair
– Apply a quarter sized amount on the scalp
– Leave it for 3 minutes
– Repeat if needed
- Zincon Medicated Dandruff Shampoo, 8 Fluid Ounce by Zincon
– Controls dandruff flaking
– Leaves the hair clean and shiny
– Eliminates itching on the scalp
– Gentle on your hair
– You can feel the effects after the first wash
– Healthy scalp
– Removes dryness from the scalp
– It is difficult to find it in stores
Directions for use
– Shake the product well
– Apply on the scalp
– Massage vigorously
– Use it at least twice a week for best results, or as your doctor will direct you. It is not for use for children aged 2 and below.
Since shampoos tend to dry hair out, it is advisable to use a conditioner after you shampoo your hair.
You now have the top 5 options that you can go for if dandruff has become a problem. They have been clinically proven and many other people can attest to the effectiveness of these medicated shampoos for dandruff.
Uncomfortable and unsightly, cold sores tend to make almost everyone self conscious about their overall physical appearance which also impacts on one’s self esteem. Cold sores are the swollen blisters that commonly appear on an individual’s lip border. Cold sores are caused by the Type 1 herpes simplex virus that lives within ones nerve roots only to re-emerge in times of emotional or physical distress, particularly when one is fighting a flu or cold.
Although these sores tend to heal on their own within 7 to 10 days, it is worth trying these natural cold sore treatments in order to clear up any eruptions that could cause undue distress and prevent any complications. Cold sore complications occur in people who have various types of immune-suppressions which can make the core to become widespread and more sever. Symptoms of complications arising from untreated cold sores include bacterial infection, the development of pus within the sores and fever. The cold sores may also spread to ones fingers or eyes which are causes for immediate medical attention.
Natural cold sore treatments
Before one begins the search for cold sore treatments, it is important to note that cold sores are usually confused with cankers, which have totally different remedies. Therefore, it is important to know the difference. Cankers are small or large ulcers that tend to develop inside ones mouth whereas cold sores appear outside the mouth, along the lip borders. In addition, one also understands that cold sore development is not only confined to the lip border area, but also around or in ones nostril, fingers or chin. Once this is clarified, the following are the top 5 natural and over the counter cold sore treatments.
Non- prescription cold sore treatment
Zilactin and Betadine
There are various remarkable over the counter medications that can effectively work to relieve the various symptoms of cold sores. The single most noteworthy non prescription cold sore treatment is Zilactin. This is an OTC product that both shortens the duration of old sores, sometimes in half, as well as relieves their symptoms. It works by numbing the area in which the cold sore is located.
Most numbing non prescription remedies contain topical anesthetics such as Lidocaine Ointment or creams containing prilocaine, benzocaine, or tetracaine which all work to stop any soreness. In addition to those mentioned, ointments containing povidone iodine such as Betadine can also be dabbed onto the cold sore to reduce inflammation and other common side effects of cold sores such as itchiness.
Creams of an antiviral nature are also helpful in the treatment of cold sores. Such creams include famiciclovir and acyclovir, which is widely available. They work by ensuring that the virus does not reproduce thus shortening the duration of the cold sores. It is noteworthy that both creams work best when they are applied to the sores during their earliest stages of development. Basic pain medication may also be required depending on one’s discomfort.
The most common side effect of cold sores is the unnerving feeling of unease. This can be alleviated by applying a small amount of petroleum jelly such as Vaseline to the affected area. The jelly not only soothes the discomfort, but also offers some kind of barrier to bacteria that may make their way into the affected area and cause unwanted infections. One should also protect their lips with a balm that contains sun block or zinc oxide cream in order to avoid the excessive drying of the affected area. Excess drying causes cracked sores which may become a point of entry for infection causing bacteria.
A herbal lemon balm or chap stick works by soothing and sealing the affected area. Witch Hazel also works well as a cold sore treatment. It is also the easiest remedy to find as it is locally available in health stores and pharmacies. A simple dab of witch hazel on the cold sore is very effective in the relief of signs of irritation (redness around the cold sore). It has a great drying effect on the cold sore and shortens ones healing time.
Well renowned for its numerous health benefits, aloe vera aids the skins healing process. Dotting ones cold sore with some aloe extract or its sap, for those who can obtain the actual plant, speeds the healing process and eases ones discomfort. For those suffering severe cold sore, the aloe vera sap or extract can be chilled in a refrigerator to obtain a more intense soothing sensation.
Prevention is better than Cure
As noted, cold sores may occur as a result of the reactivation of the Type 1 herpes simplex virus due to either physical or emotional stress. The best way to prevent the development of cold sores is to eat a healthy diet that is rich in vegetables and fresh fruits throughout the year. You may also consider taking a multivitamin supplement just to make sure that you are receiving all nutrients required by the body.
It is also best to avoid foods that are rich in amino acid arginine such as cola, chocolate, beer, gelatin, nuts and grain cereals. One must keep their hands clean and get a new toothbrush once the early signs of cold sores begin. This is because the viruses that cause cold sores can live in ones toothbrush to later re-infect them.
In conclusion, although cold sores heal can naturally heal within a week, it is best to treat them rather than wait and contract infections. Not only are they an eyesore, they can also cause complications that will later cause avoidable anguish. The above mentioned cold sore treatments are the best in such situations and effectively sooth, shorten the healing time of cold sores and prevent the development of other infections.
NB: Owing to the fact that the Type 1 herpes simplex virus is extremely infectious, one should avoid shaking hands or kissing any individual with a cold sore. Yes. This also includes sharing utensils such as cups and spoons, and towels. Also sanitize your hands should you come into contact with a person with a cold sore.